Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Love Story: Waiting

Love Story: 


Lets continue on with our love story today. Trevon had his call and was going to leave on August 29, 2007 (That just seems like forever ago now). My birthday was just two days before that, and it was one of my favorite birthdays, but one of the worst at the same time. While I got to spend almost all day long with Trevon that day, it was hard because we knew we only had one more day to be together before he left. Definitely bitter-sweet.  Not to mention my grandma told me that her cat died that day. That shouldn't be a big deal but she was partially my cat too, in my eyes. I'd kept Tibby while my grandparents were on their mission for a year and a half, and that was the only cat I ever loved (so much more a dog person). It was an emotional weekend.

Anyway, after spending as much time as physically possible together, Trevon was set apart as a missionary and left for the MTC that weekend. I told him I wasn't going to promise anything except that if he wrote me, I'd write him back.

My parents knew how hard it was to have a missionary gone. Not only did I have both of my brothers go, but they waited for each other while my dad was on his mission, and my sister waited for her husband. They told me to pack my bags and sent me down to Moab with my dad on a jeeping trip. It was so much needed and so good that I went. It took the sting out of Trevon leaving, just a little.

I kept really buys in school and work. I figured the busier I was, the better to keep my mind off of it. I think I was working 40 hour weeks and going to school full time, YIKES!

About 4 months into it, I found a Facebook group called Waiting for a Missionary. I know, some of you are rolling your eyes right now, but this was the best thing that happened to me while Trev was gone. I joined the group and found out there were a ton of girls in Utah that were waiting like me. That was such a great feeling. After feeling alone and miss-understood for so long, after hearing everyone tell me that waiting was wrong, I found a great support group that helped me the rest of the way through the journey. Some of these girls became some of my really great friends who I still keep in-touch with.

We started doing little get togethers. Scrapbook parties, movie nights, dinners... Basically anything we could turn into a girls night, we did. It was so much fun! Some of us found out we knew a lot of the same people but some how hadn't known each other. In fact, Britt from My Little Sunshines was an "MG" and ended up knowing Trevon and a lot of my other friends too. There were so many fun connections between all of us.

There were a lot of hard times while Trevon was gone. I had to deal with a lot of people telling me I was being selfish or that I was interfering with God. People I didn't even know would some how find out I was waiting and give me any kind of grief they could for it. There were some people who were really supportive and thought it was sweet that I was writing a missionary. Even though there were those hard times, this was a really fun time for me too. I did a lot of things that I'd always wanted to do.

I went to Boston with my mom and aunt.

I ran a relay marathon with my cousin and my mom

I went jeeping with my dad (this is me driving with my uncle.)

Learned how to snowboard

Practiced a lot of photography

Went to Lake Powell and learned how to wake surf.

And a lot more. It was a great growing period for me. And while there were a lot of slow times, it went by so fast. And after a lot of patients and a lot of tears and smiles, Trevon was coming home! We didn't miss a week writing. We both got letters every single week. We grew closer together in spirit even though we were so far apart.

On August 12, 2009, Trevon came home. It took him all day long to come and see me. I was so giddy and excited and distracted that I made cookies twice and failed at both. My cousins spent the day with me trying to distract me from waiting for him to call or come over or something! My mom kicked us out of the house because I was so crazy emotional. Finally, FINALLY! at 9:30 P.M. he texted me to meet him at the park. I was out of the house so fast. I ran over and as soon as I got there I realized I was super nervous. As I walked around the corner, he was walking towards me. And yes, I said something like "Why are you wearing that?" As I've explained before, I'm not good with words when I'm all nervous and excited like that. And he was wearing a thick sweater and jeans in the middle of August so...anyway. It felt so nice to be in his arms again and to see him in real life and not just in pictures. I was on cloud 9. And all of the pain from waiting was gone in a second. All of the lonely, sad times had disappeared. Once again, I knew I had done the right thing by waiting. Best decision ever.

At his brother's wedding September 2009

Sometimes waiting for a missionary doesn't turn out how you hope. Sometimes you get written off, sometimes you end up writing them off. But, sometimes, it turns out perfect. I was lucky to see it turn out for the better so many times. It all works out in the end. And I'm so thankful for the MG's and for all of the other people in my life who were supportive.

You might also like: How we met, Dating

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh waiting. Haha, I do love how many random connections we had/have!